Connect with us

Sports

Ronaldo slammed by Juventus legends after return to Manchester United

Cristiano Ronaldo has come under huge scrutiny from Juventus legends after departing the Italian club for Manchester United last week.

The 36-year-old brought his three-year stay in Turin to an end by sealing a return to United in a deal worth £19.4million.

But Ronaldo has now been heavily criticised by former Juventus stars Sergio Brio and Alessio Tacchinardi, who said that the fans ‘deserved something better’ and ‘Juventus deserve more respect’.

The Portugal international was heavily linked with a move to rivals Manchester City just hours before his return to Old Trafford was announced and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer later admitted that he was surprised that Ronaldo was available to leave Juventus.

Tacchinardi told Tuttosport: ‘Ronaldo should have left in a different way, not on his private jet while Allegri was talking to the team before the game against Empoli.

Advertisement

‘I expected a press conference to say goodbye to the fans. They deserved something different.

‘There are no more legends such as [Alessandro] Del Piero, [Francesco] Totti, [Paolo] Maldini or [Javier] Zanetti, but it wasn’t nice to hear from Ronaldo that he was going back to a place he feels like home.

‘He put Juventus in a difficult situation, leaving a few days before the end of the transfer window, it is impossible to replace a goal machine like him.’

Four-time Serie A winner Brio added: ‘Juventus deserve more respect, I didn’t expect Ronaldo to snub the club like this. It was not nice of him.

‘I always speak highly of the three clubs where I played: Juventus, Lecce and Pistoiese because they signed me and believed in me. Cristiano is a great professional, but his farewell should have been different.

Advertisement

‘Perhaps they didn’t break up gracefully, but I am convinced it was the right thing for the player and the club. If a player is forced to stay, he could cause damage to his teammates and the club.’

Ronaldo broke another record on Wednesday night – becoming the all-time leading scorer in men’s international football with 111 goals after his brace against Republic of Ireland.

He was later released from international duty after receiving his second caution of the World Cup qualifying campaign during that game and could be in line to make his second debut for the club next weekend when the Red Devils take on Newcastle at Old Trafford.

During his first spell at United, he won nine honours – including three consecutive league titles as well as the Champions League in 2008.

Source: Dailymail

Advertisement
Advertisement

Sports

Marc Staal to take on senior leadership position with the Detroit Red Wings in 2021-22

The Detroit Red Wings have revealed their alternative captains for the next season, and they are counting on a veteran defenseman to step up. Marc Staal has been named one of this year’s assistant captains, alongside Danny DeKeyser.

Staal has not spent much time with the Detroit Red Wings, but he has been in the NHL for 14 years. After 13 seasons with the New York Rangers, Staal was acquired by the Red Wings in a draft capital-generating sweetener deal before to the 2020 NHL Entry Draft.

The Red Wings chose to utilize him as a veteran to help secure a defense core that had suffered some injuries and necessitated his presence. Now, in 2021-22, Staal hopes to fill a similar position and serve as a leader for this club both on and off the ice.

With youngster Moritz Seider making the roster, it will be invaluable to learn from some of these veterans and observe how someone like Staal, a seasoned veteran, conducts himself in a leadership role.

Marc Staal, a defenceman with the Detroit Red Wings, will assume a leadership position in 2021-22.

Advertisement

When you think of Marc Staal with the Detroit Red Wings, you don’t immediately think of his offensive contributions, but his job will need a great deal of intangibles. Staal appeared in all 56 Red Wings games last season, scoring three goals and adding seven assists for a total of 10 points.

He is not going to score a lot of goals; he is not going to have an offensive renaissance at this time; he is a defensive defenseman who can execute the job effectively. Additionally, he may serve as a mentor and role model for some of the organization’s younger players.

While re-signing Staal is not a game-changing move, the decision to do so this summer was a solid one. On the morning of the 2021-22 season, looking forward, it appears reasonable to anticipate that Staal will contribute to the Red Wings defense core even if he does not contribute much on the stat sheet.

While I am not shocked that Staal was considered for and ultimately awarded the assistant captain position, it was rather surprising to see someone like Nick Leddy ignored. He was, however, a fresh addition, and the Red Wings may have preferred to keep returning players.

This season will not be a Stanley Cup contender, but the Red Wings should be able to begin focusing on future growth, which someone like Staal will nurture on and off the court.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Sports

RIP KiXSTar: According to relatives, FPS commentator KiXSTar has passed away.

Michael “KiXSTar” Stockley, a former Rainbow Six Siege pro player and color commentator, has died. Stockley, 24, passed unexpectedly a few days ago, according to his family.

Although the statement was made on October 13, 2021, KiXSTar’s family confirmed that the caster died on October 11, 2021. The reason of death was not disclosed by the family.

KiXSTar began his esports career in 2016 as a pro player for Team Orbit in Rainbow Six Siege, before moving to color commentary in 2019. He was a color commentator at the Esports Awards in 2020 and was nominated again in 2021. Voting for the awards for 2021 is now underway.

His departure will leave a void in the first-person shooter community, both in Rainbow Six Siege, where he rose to fame, and in VALORANT, where he recently worked.

Rainbow Six Siege’s official Twitter account issued a brief message on KiXSTar’s death. Additionally, the esports organizers have chosen to reschedule the North American League playday and broadcast, with a new schedule to follow.

Advertisement

Numerous esports organizations and players have reached out to KiXSTar’s family to express their condolences.

INTERRO:

G2 Esports:

Cloud9:

Siege.gg:

Advertisement

KiXSTar’s family has encouraged fans and friends who wish to pay tribute to him to give to a local food bank in his name instead of sending flowers.

Credit: Clutchpoints

Continue Reading

Sports

Astros’ Carlos Correa responds to White Sox pitcher’s ‘disrespectful’ sign-stealing implication after ALDS win

The Astros defeated the White Sox 10-1 in Game 4 of the ALDS on Tuesday, putting an end to their season. Reliever Ryan Tepera took a shot at the Astros following the White Sox’s lone victory of the series on Sunday night.

He specifically addressed the 2017 season’s well-known sign-stealing issue.

“They have a reputation for doing some shady things over there,” Tepera added. “It is possible to say that there is a difference. In comparison to the previous two games at Minute Maid, I believe you witnessed the swings and misses tonight.”

In Game 4 on Tuesday, the Astros struck out nine times. They also had 10 hits, including three doubles and a home run, for a total of 10 runs. If Tepera’s insinuation was that the Astros cheat better at home than on the road, things didn’t quite line up in this game.

Shortstop for the Astros Carlos Correa went 2 for 4 with a two-RBI double to give the Rangers the lead for good. He was queried about Tepera’s comments after the game.

Advertisement

“Disrespectful words with no facts… he needs to know the facts, or you know what he needs to do.” 👀

Carlos Correa responds to Ryan Tepera’s comments ⬇️ pic.twitter.com/5kK7k5S7fW— FOX Sports: MLB (@MLBONFOX) October 12, 2021

“Disrespectful words with no facts with nothing to say,” Correa said. “We scored six runs at home, then we scored, what, like nine? Then we scored six again here, they just happened to score 12. And then you look at our OPS on the road that’s the best in all the big leagues through a 162-game season which we played 81 on the road. Their OPS was a lot higher at home than it was on the road.

“He needs to know the facts.”

Correa did his homework. The Astros led the majors this season with a .780 road OPS. The White Sox’s home OPS was .789 compared to a .729 road OPS.

Whether any of this means anything is up to you, dear reader, but when Correa said he was talking facts, he was.

Source: cbssports

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending