Connect with us

News

Meghan Markle and Kate Middleton are closer than they’ve ever been.

Looks like Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle have put ongoing family drama behind them and are working on their relationship. Which, we love to see it!

A source tells Us Weekly that “Meghan and Kate are actually getting along really well and have been in touch more often. Meghan and Kate’s relationship was never that close. And now they’re closer than ever and working on their relationship for the sake of the family.”

Apparently the Duchesses have been in touch since the birth of Meghan and Harry’s daughter Lilibet.

They’re in a better place and have exchanged texts since the birth of Lilibet,” a source previously told the outlet. “They’ve bonded over both having daughters and can’t wait for all the cousins to meet. Kate has been reaching out to Meghan a lot more since [Lili] was born, she’s sending [notes and] gifts and trying to build up a relationship.

While clearly Kate and Meghan are trying to rise above tension between their families, the royals are apparently pretty unhappy with Prince Harry’s upcoming memoir. Prince William and Prince Charles are specifically said to be “nervous” about the book, and a source told The Mirror that it’s set off a “tsunami of fear” among the royals.

There is a now tsunami of fear among the royals over what Harry will write,” a source said. “Many hope he may correct a few things but do not hold much hope.

Harry hasn’t indicated that his memoir will stir up more drama with his family.

And all he has said is “I’m writing this not as the prince I was born but as the man I have become. I’ve worn many hats over the years, both literally and figuratively, and my hope is that in telling my story—the highs and lows, the mistakes, the lessons learned—I can help show that no matter where we come from, we have more in common than we think. I’m deeply grateful for the opportunity to share what I’ve learned over the course of my life so far and excited for people to read a firsthand account of my life that’s accurate and wholly truthful.”

source: cosmopolitan

Advertisement

News

The sexism that led to the Elizabeth Holmes trialBreakout

Elizabeth Holmes’ biotech company was once considered the hottest startup in Silicon Valley. But for lab techs working in Theranos’ blood lab, it didn’t exactly feel like a dream job.

Holmes claimed to the world that she had invented mini blood testing machines that could revolutionize healthcare.

But the blood test machines failed so frequently that staff had to work around-the-clock recalibrating, lab tech Erika Cheung testified in court Friday.

“We had people sleeping in their cars because it took so long,” Cheung told the jury.

Blood lab results were supposed to take two hours to complete. But Theranos’ machines often produced false blood lab results, and recalibrating the machines took two or three days, Cheung said.

After a federal investigation into the lab, Holmes was charged with defrauding investors and patients.

Her defense attorneys are trying to convince the jury that Holmes had no idea her invention gave bogus blood test results.

In court Friday, prosecutors chipped away at the defense by calling ex-Theranos employees to testify.

Senior scientist Surekha Gangakhedkar testified that Holmes was in fact aware of problems in the blood lab. Gangakhedkar said she met with Holmes directly on a regular basis. When she found out that Theranos was moving forward with accepting patients, she left the company.

“It made me uncomfortable. I didn’t think that was the right decision,” Gangakhedkar testified.

Cheung testified that she was afraid of the company’s executives. When Theranos’ human resources director called her, even the HR director sounded scared, she said.

“When I heard (the HR director’s) voice and how scared she sounded, it just reminded me of how scared I was working for that company. I had a right to not speak to them.”

After she left the company, Cheung received an email from the company’s legal team threatening her with a lawsuit for defamation. The letter also accused her of leaking confidential information, including trade secrets.

Text messages made public record recently by prosecutors expose private exchanges between Holmes and Theranos COO, Sunny Balwani, when their company was coming under fire.

There are texts about seeking to silence medical professionals and Theranos employees who were raising red flags to federal authorities and journalists.

“We’ll get them,” Holmes texted Balwani on May 13, 2015 after a lab gave her company a bad review.

In one text exchange, the duo was trying to figure out which of employees were leaking information.

Balwani wrote to Holmes, “I am narrowing this down in CLIA. Down to 5 people. Will nail this mr fr.”

Source: Kron4

Continue Reading

News

‘Justice for J6’ updates: Sparse crowd met with massive police presence at right-wing rally

The “Justice for J6” rally was billed as a protest for defendants being detained in connection with the January insurrection at the Capitol.

At least 610 individuals have been federally charged for their involvement in the Jan. 6 riot at the United States Capitol, according to the Department of Justice. Most of the roughly 60 who remain behind bars are suspects prosecutors and judges have identified as posing a credible and ongoing threat to the public’s safety.

Many of the same far-right groups and individuals who promoted the original Jan. 6 rally-turned insurrection this time warned supporters to avoid the demonstration at all costs. Former President Donald Trump called it a “setup” but also released a statement supporting those charged.

With the House and Senate both out, no lawmakers were at the Capitol on Saturday. But preventative security measures were taken, including the reinstallation of temporary fencing around the Capitol complex.

Man with gun detained at rally, police say

A man who allegedly had a gun at the rally has been detained and charged with unlawful activities, Capitol Police said.

A witness told police they saw “what appeared to be a handgun” on a man in the crowd at 1:30 p.m., Capitol Police said on Twitter. The man did have a gun, police said in a followup tweet.

“At this time, it is not clear why the man was at the demonstration,” police said.

Up to 450 people turn out for rally

About 400 to 450 people were “inside the protest area” Saturday, Capitol Police said after the “Justice for J6” rally concluded.

That number did not include law enforcement, police said.

The rally fell short of expectations, with organizers having secured a permit for 700 attendees.

Organizer Matt Braynard thanked demonstrators who showed up for “trusting” him.

Despite the turnout, the event drew a large law enforcement and media presence. Capitol Police said Friday they were working with over 27 agencies from around the region to secure the event.

Rally concludes without any known major incidents

The “Justice for J6” rally wrapped up Saturday afternoon after about an hour of speeches, without any major known incidents.

Authorities had warned of possible threats of violence at the event, and Capitol Police officers could be seen in riot gear standing on the perimeter of the crowd as people gathered in front of the U.S. Capitol.

Metropolitan Police Department Chief Robert Contee also said in a video message Saturday that the department had security “covered” for the event and was ensuring that people could “peacefully express their First Amendment rights.”

Capitol Police said they arrested a man for a weapons violation shortly before the rally kicked off. He allegedly had a knife. Additional details were not immediately available.

No other arrests have been reported at this time.

The Capitol Police Civil Disturbance Unit also responded to a group of protestors and counter protestors near the Capitol and “separated the groups without incident,” police said.

Man with knife arrested, Capitol Police say

Right before the rally kicked off, Capitol Police say they arrested a man with a knife for a weapons violation.

The arrest happened at 12:40 p.m., authorities said. No other details were immediately provided.

Knives are one of over a dozen prohibited items and activities on Capitol Grounds, along with firearms, mace, ammunition and other items.

In the days leading up to the rally, DC Police posted signage in the area of the rally that stated: “All firearms prohibited within 1000 feet of this sign.”

Continue Reading

News

Ohio Republican Congressman Anthony Gonzalez Won’t Seek Reelection

Ohio Congressman Anthony Gonzalez will not run for reelection when his term ends next year. The 16th district representative made the announcement on Twitter Thursday night.

“While my desire to build a fuller family life is at the heart of my decision,” Gonzalez wrote, “it is also true that the current state of our politics, especially many of the toxic dynamics inside our own party, is a significant factor in my decision.”

In January, Gonzalez was one of ten Republicans who voted to impeach then-President Donald Trump, accusing him of inciting the mob at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.

“These are fundamental threats not just to people’s lives but to the very foundation of the Republic,” he said in a written statement explaining his vote.

Gonzalez faced harsh criticism from his party including calls for his resignation. In May, the Ohio Republican Party’s Central Committee voted almost unanimously to censure him.

In his late Thursday Twitter statement, Gonzalez expressed gratitude to those who continued to support him.

“Please know that every word has meant the world to me,” he said, “and given me hope that the chaotic political environment that currently infects our country will only be temporary.”

Gonzalez stood by his concerns about the storming of the Capitol at a City Club of Cleveland event after his censure. He said his party should not spread falsehoods about the 2020 election.

“Continuing to perpetuate falsehoods, especially ones that are dangerous that led to the violence on Jan. 6, is a recipe for disaster for the party, but it’s also horribly irresponsible,” he said.

Gonzalez also voted in favor of creating an independent commission to investigate the Capitol riot.

A former White House aide, Max Miller, entered the race to challenge Gonzalez in the 2022 primary. And Trump held a rally in Lorain in June to support Miller and other GOP candidates. He took direct aim at Gonzalez.

“He’s a sellout, a fake Republican and a disgrace to your state,” Trump said. “And he’s not the candidate that you want representing the Republican Party.”

Source: wksu

Continue Reading

Trending